Professor Sam Eldabe MB ChB, FRCA, FFPMRCA
Role in the group:
MedConNecT North group Lead.
I am an NHS consultant of 18 years’ experience. Throughout my career I have been an active user and researcher into the role of medical devices in improving patient care. My background in anaesthesia has given me a broad exposure to all classes of medical technologies from simple Class I devices to the more complex Class IIB devices such as monitors and defibrillators. My work as a chronic pain treatment specialist has afforded me experience in research with various class III active implantable devices.
Areas of expertise:
Neurological and Musculoskeletal active implanted devices.
I have experience in medical technology research from early stage (first in man) studies to CE marking studies. I have led a number of device studies both academically sponsored as well as industry sponsored. I am currently leading a global effectiveness and cost effectiveness device study as well as a 2 post marketing long term device evaluation studies. I have experience in study design and collaborative grant applications for device studies as well as long experience in navigating the research ethics applications and accompanying MHRA application requirements. I am deputy Clinical Director of the National Institute of Health Research North East and North Cumbria Clinical Research Network and as such have access to clinical expertise in all fields of medicine. I have acted as an advisor to NICE’s Interventional Procedures Advisory Committee on numerous occasions.
Recent Successful collaborations with Industry/SME’s:
- UK Chief Investigator for a first in man study with Mainstay Medical.
- UK Chief Investigator of a current Reactiv8 A study (sponsored by Mainstay Medical).
- UK Chief Investigator PReDiCT study (sponsored by Spinal Modulation)
In all the above studies I have facilitated signposting to experts in the field and assisted with various regulatory applications.
- UK Chief Investigator of the Medtronic PSR a post marketing registry of active implanted devices
- Global Chief Investigator SubQStim study an effectiveness and cost effectiveness study of an implanted device compared to optimised medical management
In the above studies I had input into study design and drafting the protocol.